The Liberty Bell

The country’s greatest historical symbol of freedom weighs over 2,080 pounds and came to Wayne County twice.

The liberty Bell was rung on July 8, 1776 to summon citizens of Philadelphia to the first public reading of the Declaration of Independence and is the most prominent symbol of the American Revolution.

The first time the treasured icon visited Wayne County only a handful of people saw it early going to work. It had stopped at the Richmond depot on Nov. 1, 1893, en route to the St. Louis World’s Fair.

The second time the bell traveled through on an eastbound train and made unscheduled stops in Centerville and Cambridge City, with a 27-minute layover in Richmond.

The date was Nov. 18, 1904, and people gathered at the depot to see the famous symbol of patriotism that had been at the Louisiana Purchase Exhibition and was on its way back to Philadelphia that day. Almost 10,000 people at various Wayne County locations saw the icon of liberty in its final trip.

It was never removed from Philadelphia following its return that year.

 

 


Morrisson-Reeves Library • 80 North 6th Street, Richmond, IN • 47374-3079 • U.S.A.
Phone (765) 966-8291 • Fax (765) 962-1318 • Email martin@mrlinfo.org
2012© - all rights reserved • Updated
June 19, 2012