Richmond High School
(later Garfield School)
Northeast Corner 12th and South A


The second building to house Richmond High School, this building was constructed in 1888 at a cost of $44,000. It remained the high school for only 22 years. When the next high school opened in 1910 at North 9th and B, this school became the middle school. Garfield School, located at North 8th and B was actually attached to the new high school and became an annex. The Garfield name was transferred to this school.

Garfield was a junior high school until 1922 when Julia Test Jr. High School opened. It then became an elementary school until Charles Elementary opened in 1954. The building was razed in 1956, and the corner is now the site of the Eagles Lodge.

Return to Lost Richmond index

 

Return to the Local History Home

©Morrisson-Reeves Library, Richmond, Indiana U.S.A.
http://www.mrlinfo.org

E-mail our Archivist archive@mrlinfo.org