Morrisson Library 

Morrisson spent $12,000 for the lot at the corner of what is now North A and 6th Streets and the brick building which was erected on that lot. He gave an additional $5,000 to a library committee with which to buy books. The new library was duly named the Morrisson Library, and it opened on July 30, 1864 with approximately 6,000 books. Perhaps the inaccessibility  and short hours of the Township Library prompted Morrisson to make the gift, but it is certain he wanted it to be a lasting gift. He gave the donation to "Wayne Township, Wayne County, Indiana, in trust for the benefit of its inhabitants forever." 
In appreciation of his generous gift, a committee of citizens commissioned John C. Wolfe to paint a life-sized portrait of Morrisson, which was hung in the reading room of the new library. Apparently these citizens felt that the likeness to the original was not what it should be, and they subsequently commissioned Marcus Mote, a local Quaker artist, to repaint Morrisson's head, making this a painting created by two artists. If one looks closely, one can see a difference in the style of painting between the head and the rest of the painting.


Painting in the Reading Room of the old building

newwolfe.jpg (506046 bytes)

Painting in the present building.

Click for larger image