Mrs. Bernhardt
In 1903, after 39 years of service, Mrs. Wrigley retired, and Mrs. Ada L. Bernhardt took her place.  Mrs. Bernhardt was the daughter of Judge Lewis Stubbs and former literary assistant to William Dudley Foulke.  Under her guidance the library adopted more modern practices such as open stacks and the card catalog (as opposed to the bound printed catalogue that had been in use to that point).  She also placed small collections of books in local schools and for a time sent librarians into the schools on a part-time basis.  Mrs. Bernhardt served until 1945, when she was succeeded by Mrs. Harriet Bard.