Caroline Middleton Reeves

In the summer of 1892, Caroline Middleton Reeves, widow of Mark E. Reeves, donated $30,000 to the library.  Mark Reeves was a prominent merchant and banker, who as a young man had worked for Robert Morrisson.  He and his brother James, organized and operated the First National Bank.  Mrs. Reeves made the donation to memorialize her husband and her son, Arthur Middleton Reeves, who had died in a train accident near Hagerstown in 1891.
Mrs. Reeves’ generous gift enabled a substantial expansion of the original building, including a third floor which later housed the Boys’ and Girls’ Room and a large stack room for greater storage.  The renovation included a new, covered entrance and a round tower, and the entire front of the building was faced with stone.  At the same time Robert Morrisson’s son, James, donated $3,000 to have the north side of the building faced with stone to match the front.  James’ grandchildren also added a two-story bay window, into which they installed a beautiful Tiffany stained-glass window.
With the agreement of the Morrisson heirs, the library officially became the Morrisson-Reeves Library.


Click to view larger image