|Technically, the first librarian was Jesse Brown, but he stayed at this post for only a few
weeks. On September 5, 1864 Mrs. Sarah Wrigley became librarian. She was the daughter of John Finley, the second mayor of Richmond, editor of the Richmond
Palladium, and author of a poem entitled "The Hoosier's Nest,"
which is widely recognized as the first literary use of the word Hoosier.
|Income of this first library consisted of fines from overdue books, rent from the librarian's living quarters, which occupied the southern half of the building, and regular township funds. Not until 1879 was legislation passed which enabled a small tax to be collected specifically for the library's use. In 1885, a small addition was constructed which added a reference room and rooms for the township trustee on the lower floor.|