In 1836 the Spring Foundry opened northwest of the city, and it was taken over by the Hutton brothers, Jesse and John 1839. They sold the company to Jonas Gaar and his sons, Abraham and John M. Gaar, and his son-in-law, William G. Scott, who continued the business under the name of A. Gaar & Company.

The company produced threshing machines and traction engines, as well as other farm equipment, and their products were shipped to all parts of the world. In December 1911, the M. Rumely Co. of LaPorte, Indiana, bought out the local company, then went bankrupt itself only a few years later. All of the buildings of the complex are gone, except the administration building that now is home to the offices of the Richmond Baking Company

Return to Business and Industry index

 

Return to the Local History Home

©Morrisson-Reeves Library, Richmond, Indiana U.S.A.
http://www.mrlinfo.org

E-mail our Archivist archive@mrlinfo.org