John M. Westcott started the Hoosier Drill Company in Milton, Indiana in 1858 and incorporated it in 1873. He moved the company to Richmond in 1878. John M. Westcott was the president, and he surrounded himself with his three sons-in-law as officers. At least in 1899, it could claim to be the largest factory in the world devoted entirely to the manufacture of seeding machines.

In 1903, Hoosier Drill Co. became part of the American Seeding Machine Company, with factories in Richmond and Springfield, Ohio.

In 1906, the company petitioned Richmond City Council to vacate 14th Street north of E so that it could expand. Council agreed and over the next few years American Seeding almost doubled its capacity and employment.

In 1920, American Seeding became the Richmond Unit of the International Harvester Company. During World War II it produced war material instead of farm implements. The factory closed in 1957.

Return to Business and Industry index

 

Return to the Local History Home

©Morrisson-Reeves Library, Richmond, Indiana U.S.A.
http://www.mrlinfo.org

E-mail our Archivist archive@mrlinfo.org