|Benjamin Starr (1842-1903)|
Benjamin Starr, son of Charles W. Starr and younger brother of James Starr, enlisted as a private in the 2nd Indiana Cavalry soon after the start of the Civil War. He received a serious head wound in August 1862 and, while recovering from the wound was stricken with typhoid fever. Honorably discharged soon after, he returned to Richmond to engage in business. His first enterprise after the war was the Nye & Starr Stove Store, and soon after he became part owner of the Richmond Gas Company. In 1878, he joined his brother as part owner of the Chase Piano Company, which in 1884, became James Starr & Co., and in 1893, the Starr Piano Company.
In addition to business he was active in the Grand Army of the Republic veterans' organization and was trustee of the Soldiers' and Sailors' Orphans' Home in Knightstown, Indiana.
In 1902, he was appointed state legislator to replace C. C. Binkley, who had just died. Unfortunately, Starr died himself less than a year later.
For more information see:
Biographical and Genealogical History of Wayne, Fayette, Union and Franklin Counties, Indiana. Chicago: Lewis Publishing Co., 1899: 392-395. [Adult Non-Fiction 920.0772 B61a]
Fox, Henry Clay. Memoirs of Wayne County and the City of Richmond Indiana. Madison, Wis.: Western Historical Assn., 1912: 222-224 [Adult Non-Fiction 977.263 F79a]
Back to Biography Index
Return to the Local History Home
©Morrisson-Reeves Library, Richmond,
E-mail our Archivist email@example.com