Charles W. Starr (1792-1855)

Charles West Starr was born in Philadelphia on February 28, 1792. In 1818 he traveled to the west and first arrived in Richmond, Indiana on January 1, 1819. He was impressed with what he saw and entered a claim in Wayne County near the present town of Economy.

He married Elizabeth Wilson in November 1819 and lived back in Philadelphia for a time. In 1825 the couple moved permanently to Richmond, living on Front (now 4th) Street at first. In 1826, Charles purchased Jeremiah Cox's land, all of which was located north of Main Street. He paid $25 per acre for the 222 acres. He laid out streets and divided some of the land into quarter acre lots, which he then sold for $100 each. This area today is known as the Starr Historic District and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Charles Starr was a business leader for the rest of his life and was instrumental in the early growth of Richmond. He and Elizabeth had ten children including William, James, and Benjamin.

For more information see:

Starr, Charles in Wayne County Pamphlet File

Biographical and Genealogical History of Wayne, Fayette, Union and Franklin Counties, Indiana.  Chicago: Lewis Publishing Co., 1899: 529-531.  [Adult Non-Fiction  920.0772 B61a]

Young, Andrew W.  History of Wayne County, Indiana.  Cincinnati, Oh.:  Robert Clarke & Co., 1872: 436-437.  [Adult Non-Fiction  977.263 I61a2 ]

Back to Biography Index

Return to the Local History Home

©Morrisson-Reeves Library, Richmond, Indiana U.S.A.
http://www.mrlinfo.org

E-mail our Archivist archive@mrlinfo.org